Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Embracing Crucifixion

Received a much-needed reminder this evening of God's manner of saving: God kills to make alive. True life is found through the death of Christ and this life is received through union with him in his death. Such is the pattern of the Christian life: it is a daily dying.
And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me" (Luke 9:23 ESV).
Milton Vincent captures this truth beautifully:
I must set my face like a flint toward the cross and embrace [crucifixion with Christ] in everything I do. I should expect every day to encounter circumstantial evidence of God's commitment to my dying; and I must seize upon every God-given opportunity to be conformed more fully to Christ's death, no matter the pain involved.

When my flesh yearns for some prohibited thing, I must die. When called to do something I don't want to do, I must die. When I wish to be selfish and serve no one, I must die. When shattered by hardships that I despise, I must die. When wanting to cling to wrongs done against me, I must die. When enticed by allurements of the world, I must die. When wishing to keep besetting sins secret, I must die. When wants that are borderline needs are left unmet, I must die. When dreams that are good seem shoved aside, I must die.--Milton Vincent, A Gospel Primer for Christians, 40–41.

No comments: