Friday, April 30, 2010

Something Sweeter than a Championship

Well, after 4 years of college and about that many more of seminary intramural basketball I can now officially say that I have won a championship! Big accomplishment, huh? Ok, so not exactly. We had fun though and I managed to get into a little better shape in the process.

After we won they gave us some t-shirts and we took a team photo (sorry, don't have a picture to post just yet). This morning at work I received the e-mail message below from my PhD supervisor who also played on the team with us. The story is priceless as is the challenge he offered those of us he sent it to. May this be so in our homes.

-------------------

Dads and Future Dads,

I was reminded this morning about something that is sweeter than any sports victory, even a championship. I noticed last night when I came in late that my boys (Hayden and Graham) had foregone their regular pajamas and were sleeping in their basketball jerseys. This morning when I was getting dressed, Graham woke up and I sat down with him in a chair for a precious, morning hug. As I sat with him, I noticed that he had put another t-shirt over his jersey. So, I asked him, “Graham, why are you wearing two shirts?” Without a pause, he said, “So, I could be just like you.”

Fellows, if and when the Lord grants us children, He blessed us beyond measure. Moreover, He is giving us stewardship over one of His precious creations (Mt.18:4-6,10 and 19:13-15), which comes with an awesome responsibility. Men, I appeal to you to remain (or become) an avid discipler in your home. Our wives need our loving, spiritual leadership. Our children best learn how to walk in the ways of the Father as they walk in the ways of dad. I am humbled by the role of being a dad. I am desperate for God’s grace so that I might reflect His Spirit and not my flesh.

A Prayer: Lord, help to walk in the wisdom of the Word so that when my children follow me, they are becoming “like YOU.”

Blessings,

[Jason K. Lee]

No comments: