Friday, February 5, 2010

Whether you, eat, drink, or watch sports...

Today I received a link to a blog post that I found insightful with regard to our approach to watching sporting events. As a believer we are called to do everything to the glory of God, to let our light shine in such a way that when they see our good deeds they will give glory to Him alone for what they see (cf., 1 Corinthians 10:31 & Matthew 5:16). This call extends to every area of our lives even to the most mundane events and activities.

I encourage you to check this post out and ask yourself the question: "How should the Gospel affect the way I watch sporting events?" By this I mean, how should one's new identity and life in Christ guide him or her to watch "the big game?" What does it look like to remember and honor our Savior even in this seemingly unspiritual activity?

Here's the link. I hope you will take a few minutes to check it out.

http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/Blog/post/Thoughts-on-Super-Bowl-XLIV.aspx


Grace & Peace,

Jonathan

3 comments:

Michael said...

Hey - thanks for posting this quote up.

I'm preaching on Luke 15 on Sunday and looks a great way to round off the talk.

Are you at the Village Church? I've come across you guys before - I'm at the Crowded House in the UK with Steve Timmis and Tim Chester.

God bless

Michael said...

sorry - that was meant for the Bonhoeffer quote!

Jonathan Watson said...

Michael,

Thanks for the comment. Glad you found the quote helpful. My wife and I actually attend Redeemer Church in West Fort Worth.

I'm curious how you found my page. Always glad to meet a fellow believer...even those those that are across the pond =)

Grace & Peace,

Jonathan